Article I: Name
The name of the organization shall be the Chicano and Latino Engineers and Scientists Society (herein referred to as CALESS).
Article II: Affiliations
CALESS shall be a student chapter of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) and MAES Latinos in Science and Engineering and a registered student organization of the University Of California, Davis. CALESS shall abide by its own by-laws and by the regulations of the University of California, Davis.
Article III: Purpose
To provide members cultural, academic and social support. Provide guidance to Chicano and Latino students who enter the field of engineering and science.
Article IV: Objective
The objective of CALESS shall be to:
a) Provide support to our members through social gatherings, tutoring, academic workshops, and exposure to industry.
b) Establish a scholarship network for members
c) Help members obtain summer and permanent employment.
d) Provide study sessions for our members.
e) Tutor students for the benefit of advancing Chicano and Latinos to higher education.
f) Recruit potential Chicano and Latino students into the fields of engineering and science through community outreach
g) Interact with other school chapters so as to achieve unity and retention of Chicano and Latinos in Engineering and Science at the University of California, Davis and other chapters.
Article V: Membership
Members shall not be restricted on the basis of race, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnicity. Membership shall consist of registered students, faculty, and staff. CALESS shall have two forms of membership:
1) Regular membership
2) Associate membership
Section 1: Regular members shall consist of UC Davis students enrolled in engineering or the natural sciences.
Section 2: Associate members shall consist of UC Davis students who are not in the above stated disciplines, or are faculty and staff.
Article VI: Powers of Officers and Non Officers
The affairs of CALESS shall be governed by the active members in the following way:
Section 1: The authority of CALESS shall reside in the general membership. Each member shall have the privilege of casting one vote in the election of officers and in all business pertaining to the affairs of the organization.
Section 2: Between meetings of the general membership, the authority shall reside within those officers present at the officers’ meetings.
Article VII: Order of Succession
1) A vacancy in the office of the President shall be filled by the Vice President.
2) A vacancy in the office of the Vice President shall be filled by the Secretary. 3) In the event that the order of succession cannot be fully enacted, the board of officers shall appoint a President.
Article VIII: Vacancies
A vacancy in any office that is not of the President or Vice President shall be filled by the nomination of the President then approved by a ⅔ vote of the officers and by a majority vote of the general membership.
Article IX: Impeachment of Officers
The impeachment of an officer shall proceed as follows:
a) Process may be enacted to activities of an officer which are against CALESS’s purpose, objectives, and whose duties are not being completed.
b) The process shall begin via petition of at least one-third of the members.
c) The petition will be presented to the officers five days prior to a general meeting in order for the officers to present it at the next meeting.
d) The active membership must make a decision within two weeks of notification with a two-thirds vote of those present.
e) The impeached officer will be unable to run for office until the next academic year.
Article X: Termination of Membership
Active membership can be terminated in CALESS by expulsions provided in this constitution. Active membership can be withdrawn or refused by a majority vote of the general membership for the following reasons:
Section 1: Participation in activities that are detrimental to the functioning goals of CALESS.
Section 2: Any active member may withdraw their membership at any time voluntarily
Section 3: Regular membership shall be withdrawn when the student ceases to attend the University of California, Davis
Section 4: After active membership from CALESS has been withdrawn, outstanding debts owed to CALESS must be repaid within 30 days of the withdrawn date
Article XI: Officer Responsibilities
The duties of the Officers shall be the following:
1) Main contact for CALESS
2) Conduct officer and general meetings
3) Oversee all activities and check in with officers
4) Maintain contact with Alumni
5) In charge of CALESS Leader of the Quarter
1) Update scholarships and internship opportunities on Academic Website
2) In charge of coordinating at least one professional event per quarter (resume review, round table, mock interviews, tips on successful career fair, industry tours)
3) Collaborating with Treasurer to ensure funding for professional events
4) Run meetings when President is not present
1) Record minutes at the officer and general meetings
2) Distribute agendas before every meeting
3) In charge of distribution of thank you cards
4) Update all CALESS calendars (Google calendar & active member opportunities)
1) Keep track of all accounts
2) Give financial reports at least once per month and once per quarter at the general meetings
3) Write any needed proposals
4) Form a committee to raise funds for CALESS
5) Collect membership fees
6) Update active member lists (by using membership logs)
1) Create flyers and infographics for all our events
2) Create, promote, share our events on social media
3) Photograph all general and special events
4) Update event photography on Google Drive
5) Update alumni database on website
6) Co-chair social committee with University Liaison
1) Sends a weekly email
2) Update listserv and website
3) Maintain CALESS analytics
4) Send a quarterly update of chapter accomplishments
5) Coordinate logistics for CALESS events
University Liaison :
1) Attend all joint meetings with other ethnic and/or engineering organizations
2) Engineering Joint Council Liaison
3) In charge of coordinating university events involving CALESS
4) Update the officers and members of events taking place within other organizations that pertain to CALESS
5) Co-chair social committee with Public Relations
External Academic Chair:
1) In charge of forming an academic committee
2) In charge of coordinating study jams and study lockdowns
3) Coordinate opportunities for the academic growth of all CALESS members (graduate school tours, workshops about research, grad school, academic success, research opportunities, and etc.)
4) In charge of Graduate Fellowship Archive
5) Coordinate presentations about academic success and development during at least one general meeting per quarter
6) Assist Internal Academic Chair when needed
Internal Academic Chair:
1) In charge of forming an academic committee
2) In charge of coordinating and organization the Buddy System and Buddy System events
3) Update Academic Website appropriately for the quarter and year
4) Update research opportunities on Academic Website
5) Update CALESS Academic Drive by asking for material from others and send other materials
6) Assist External Academic Chair when needed
1) Form an outreach committee
2) In charge of organizing all of CALESS’s campus outreach events
3) In charge of reserving on-campus locations for CALESS
1) Organize all special events (Winter Retreat, End of the Year Banquet)
2) Write letters of invitations to affiliates of CALESS for the Banquet
3) Organize IM Sports teams if there is interest
4) Form a special events committee
Article XII: Committees
All committees standing or added shall be established by the officers. Approval for establishing and terminating the committees shall be made by a majority vote of officers.
Article XIII: Meetings
The general and officer meetings shall be headed by the President. If the President is unable to attend, the Order of Succession shall be enacted.
Article XIV: Elections
Elected officers shall assume their offices by the Friday of the seventh week of the spring quarter and the terms of the existing officers shall end. The elections of new officers shall begin at the end of winter quarter with nominations from the general membership. All nominated officers are elected by a majority vote of the general membership.
Article XV: Amendments
Proposed amendments must be announced during a general meeting. Amendments shall be ratified by a majority vote by all members present at the meeting at least two weeks after the proposed amendment.